Monday 7 November 2011

Singapore sling and the cruel heart-breaker

I recovered extremely quickly from the operation, and was discharged the following morning with some painkillers, antibiotics, and a John Wayne walk. I've been prescribed tight, ball-hugging underwear to keep everything in place during the healing process. It brings a whole new meaning to 'Singapore Sling'. I have raised my objections about the unpleasant chafing it causes in the nether regions, but the surgeons seem to be absorbed in more urgent medical matters.

I decided to re-assess my priorities and turn my attention to my cancerous opponent. According to various medical websites, Choriocarcinoma of the testes '... represents the most aggressive pathological variant of germ cell tumors in adults ... is a malignant and aggressive cancer ... it responds poorly to radiation and chemotherapy and carries high mortality rate ... because of early spread and inherent resistance to anticancer drugs, patients have poor prognosis ... and is rapidly fatal'. Hmmmmm.

On Monday 31st October we went to see Dr Jimmy. A dark cloud seemed to overshadow his usually chirpy and positive attitude. He had received telephone confirmation from the pathology lab that I did, indeed, have Choriocarcinoma and that this was 'not good'.

Moniek and I were devastated. We held our composure all the way back to the apartment. Walking up to the door, her Mum saw the look on our faces and started crying. A split second later, we were all sobbing uncontrollably.

This heart-breaking scene is repeated daily, in families all over the world. Cancer is a cruel and indiscriminate disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment